Thursday, February 5, 2009

Funny Things My Kids Say--Part 3


I remember when I was a kid that my mother would buy chickens and try to explain how to cut them up so that you would end up with all of the pieces looking right. Her mother had taught her when she was young. She cut it so that there were four breast pieces, two of which would probably be considered the tenderloin pieces now. And, she always had a seperate wishbone piece. So, really, we ended up with 5 pieces of good white meat. Sometimes she would buy packs of chicken pieces to add to it, but usually she bought whole chickens.

Nowadays we are spoiled. I have never bought a whole chicken. In fact, I rarely buy chicken pieces. Instead, I just buy the boneless chicken breast filets. And we eat chicken often so we just pick it up when it's on sale and stuff it in the freezer for future use.

When Tana was pretty little, I would say 4, she came into the kitchen as I was putting the chicken in the crockpot. Since I was cooking it all day to shred for enchiladas for supper, I decided to save a few bucks and buy the chicken breasts that were on sale that week at the store rather than buying the filets.

As I was taking it from the package, rinsing it, pulling off any extra fat, and throwing it in the crockpot, Tana watched intently. She asked, "What are you doing?" I told her that I was going to cook the meat for supper. She continued to watch and finally, with a look of horror and disgust on her face, she asked, "Is that dead chicken?" I looked at her and said, "Yes." In her little four-year-old voice she then matter-of-factly stated, "Well, I don't eat dead chicken." And with that, she turned up her nose and was gone.

1 comment:

  1. Now that I am catering more and more, I often use whole chickens ... but I make Kurt cut them up.

    ReplyDelete