Saturday, January 3, 2009

Celebrating the New Year with my Family

It has been our tradition to have Christmas with Todd's family and celebrate the New Year with my family. This year we hosted in Salina, along with my sister's family that only lives 1 1/2 blocks away. With my birthday being New Year's Eve, I always thoroughly enjoy this special time.

This year we did the typical stuff--games, karaoke, conversation, food, picture-taking, and lots of laughing. As usual, a good time was had by all.

It was also a year of healing.

My younger sisters ex-husband is back in her life. With the rough divorce that we all survived a few years ago, we were all a bit apprehensive. As I watched my younger sister with her family, however, my apprehension melted away. She was happy...really happy. Even better, her two beautiful girls were happy. Watching Kris play on the floor with his daughter as she squealed with delight brought smiles to the faces of everyone in the room. He was helpful, fun, loving, and gracious. What else could I ask for in a mate for my sister?

Can people change? Yes, they just have to choose to. And, thankfully, some things are worth it.

As midnight brought a new year, my prayer for a better 2009 was followed by a delicious kiss from Todd. I wouldn't have wanted to start the year any other way...

No comments:

Post a Comment